February 22, 2012

Out of the Basement...Into the Hobby Room

My next dollhouse project will be just for me. But even as I type this, I'm thinking I might want to do a New Orleans shotgun house for my sister who lives in New Orleans...




For the past few years, I've completed dollhouses for my niece, my husband's friends' daughters, and the Walker School Auction. And a few room boxes, too. But, this go 'round, it'll be all about yours truly. I'll call this house The Valencia in homage to my favorite once-upon-a-time hometown in Southern California. And even though the name Valencia makes you think the house should look Spanish, I want to keep the name because it reminds me of the place I still wish I could call home. My husband and the kids will be away next weekend, so I'll have a big chunk of time to work on this house.

History of the Valencia
I've owned this house for 16 years. I purchased it from a dollhouse store in Los Angeles. It was already assembled, except for the two side buildings (the garage and what will be the kitchen). The kitchen was the remnant of the first dollhouse I bought for myself some 20 years ago. It was a cape cod style that I drove from D.C. to Pennsylvania to purchase. Don't know what possessed me to destroy such a cute house. I never completed it, either, but I wanted parts of it for The Valencia.

You can learn more about my real-life house drama here: Life-Size House Re-do, or by jumping in the truck with my contractor and me as we canvas the area looking for good deals! Todd, you rock!



2 comments:

  1. OMG, I love this house! I can't wait to see you what you do with it. And jeesh, it's about time you made one for yourself!!! Congrats on dragging this out of the basement. Looking forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, M. I am going to begin work on this on next Saturday. I was planning to begin last week when the kids and hubby were away, but I got caught up in watching Downton Abbey and couldn't get off of the couch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I love hearing from other miniaturists. That always brightens my day!