January 29, 2012

The Race is On

Saturday was crazy around here with Malcolm's schedule. He had baseball try-outs, the Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby, basketball, and then a sleepover birthday party for a friend. Whew! Malcolm and I actually put the finishing touches on his pinewood car only minutes before the race. I thought his initial design was sort of benign. There was nothing special about it, except, of course, the time he and I spent trying to pull it together...together.

Minutes before the race, there was no time to rethink it all. Of course, just as we were about to back out of driveway, Malcolm remembered that I'd just received a miniature iPad from Lulu by Zuri from Thailand. "Let's use that, Mom " Malcolm exclaimed! Now, that would be special, I thought. Bet no other cub scout would have a one-inch scale iPad! No, not one.

I jumped out of the car, ran downstairs to the hobby room, and carefully tiptoeing between things I'd laid out on the floor (is that safe?) for the Auction House. I found the iPad, grabbed some glue, and then headed off to the derby.

Sadly, Malcolm came in last. It was, after all, our first race. While talking to the dads there, I learned a couple of secrets that we can use next year. Caution: it will involve graphite and steel wool. Although disappointed about his last-place standing, Malcolm still enjoyed time with his buddies.

The later half of Malcolm's schedule was handled by my sweet husband. "I want you to finish your project," Billy said. "I'll take Malcolm to basketball and then to the sleepover." And he didn't even ask about dinner. I love that man!

Later that night and into the morning, I worked on the Auction House. I papered a foam core wall with 1/2-scale faux brick vinyl. This is one of the finds I captured for only 50 cents at Ernie's Attic. I did more wallpapering (is that a real verb?) and I experimented with the color of the exterior brick. I'm also attempting to create judges paneling.

The later half of Malcolm's schedule was handled by my sweet husband. "I want you to finish your project," Billy said. "I'll take Malcolm to basketball and then to the sleepover." And he didn't even ask about dinner. I love that man!

Later that night and into the morning, I worked on the Auction House. I papered a foam core wall with 1/2-scale faux brick vinyl. This is one of the finds I captured for only 50 cents at Ernie's Attic. I did more wallpapering (is that a real verb?) and I experimented with the color of the exterior brick. I'm also attempting to create judges paneling.

I'm feeling under the gun now with only five days left before I have to wrap this all up. A good portion of Saturday was eaten up by little-boy activities. But it was time spent with Malcolm, and therefore time well spent.



Malcolm's cool pinewood derby car | Cool, but not fast .



My card stock mockup for judges paneling | 
I'm hoping to recreate this with popsicle sticks.



The cardboard tv set is just a placeholder 
until I "hang" the "real" flat screen tv.

I love this brown "brick" wall I created with a sheet of 50-cent vinyl.



I will try to embellish the office furniture purchased at Hobby Lobby.

I think I can find some printies online to give the keyboard and

printer a more realistic appearance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I love hearing from other miniaturists. That always brightens my day!